Our business has needed to adapt during the COVID-19 outbreak, but we are still open and accepting new patients. Call or email us for more information.


Cancer is one of the most deadly disease in the world.

Timeless Cancer Advice

“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
-Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Prevention is the Key

Up to 98% of cancers can be prevented by just keeping chronic vascular inflammation markers in the blood low. This process known as the secret killer is called “silent inflammation”. In addition to managing this type of inflammation, a lot can be done to prevent two of the most common cancers, breast cancer and prostate cancer.

Merge Medical Center gives alternate holistic nutrition options for patients in the Charleston area who want to complement their current cancer treatments or prevent future ones. We help patients who are suffering from the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation. Holistic therapies effectively treat symptoms such as lack of appetite, nausea, headaches, diarrhea, anxiety, insomnia, and fatigue that are commonly experienced during cancer treatment. Vitamins, acupuncture, reiki, holistic nutrition and custom herbal blends can be used successfully for managing medication side effects. Complementary medicine therapies are frequently a vital component of cancer treatments.

After patients go through chemotherapy and radiation and are considered in remission, the body often needs additional measures to restore full health. These are best done soon after completion of cancer treatments. Chemotherapy and radiation take a toll on the body as they strip vital nutrients and vitamins from the body as well as destroy healthy tissue of the immune and digestive systems. This destruction can affect energy, immunity, mood, sex drive, mental sharpness and sleep.

Breast Cancer Prevention

It cannot be emphasized enough that breast cancer can be prevented. But you can detect it at an early stage using a breast thermography technology. Most people have heard of risk factors such as genes, biology (eg. early menses, late menopause) and diet (eg. high fat). However these risk factors are present in only 30% of women with breast cancer. What about the other 70% of women with breast cancer? What puts them at risk? Should a woman who does not carry the high risk genes (BRCA1 and BRCA2) be less concerned about getting cancer than someone who does carry those genes? Over 95% of breast cancer patients do not have either gene associated with breast cancer. The answer lies in understanding multifactorial effect that behaviors, lifestyle, diet, stress, and environmental factors such as toxins, have on breast cancer risk.

Maintaining healthy progesterone and estrogen levels is vital to preventing Estrogen Dominance that may be one of the most causative factors leading to pre- or peri-menopausal breast cancer. Progesterone protects breast cells from dividing out of control, however, a woman’s progesterone levels start declining in her late 30’s and thus can give rise to Estrogen Dominance. However, most breast cancer occurs postmenopausal, at the time when ovaries have stopped producing normal protective hormone levels.

As you can see, most breast cancer occurs without any risk factors being present. Therefore, every woman should protect herself from breast cancer by balancing her hormones, exercising, maintaining a healthy diet, avoiding alcohol and taking an active role in controlling her environmental exposures to pesticides, plastics, hair dyes and other toxins.

Prostate Cancer and Testosterone

Being fearful of prostate cancer is the main reason why many men avoid restoring their testosterone levels to youthful range. However, observations from studies over the years (eg. New England Journal of Medicine-2004) have shown that it is high estrogen levels combined with low testosterone that leads to prostate cancer. The prevailing theory is that the prostate is attempting to expand its size, and thus its vascular supply in an attempt to get more testosterone from the new blood supply into the prostate gland. This growth may become mutated and out of control and thus cancerous. The key to preventing this prostate cancer would then be to restore testosterone to a high normal blood level so that the prostate does not have to grow to get more.

Merge Medical Center uses its multi-faceted holistic medicine approach to restore nutrients and balance the systems of the body.