Which Doctors Prescribe Hormone Replacement Therapy?
By Dr. Patrick Lovegrove Medically Reviewed by Lindsay Langley, BSN, RN, CHT
Posted Monday, December 26th, 2022
Doctors Prescribing Hormone Replacement Therapy
What is this hormone replacement therapy (HRT), and can doctors prescribe hormone replacement therapy? Hormone replacement therapy is a hot topic in the medical community. Hormone replacement therapy is a term used to describe treatments that involve replacing, supplementing, or balancing hormones in the body—accomplished in several ways, taking hormone pellets, swallowing lozenges or pills, using patches or creams, or getting injections. Using hormone replacement therapy treats various conditions, including menopause and andropause.
If you are considering taking HRT, you will want to find a highly qualified and certified doctor to perform this therapy for you. This blog article will discuss whether or not doctors can prescribe hormone replacement therapy.
2 Types of Doctors Who CanCan Best AuthorizeUse Hormone Replacement Therapy
The following doctors can prescribe hormone replacement therapy (HRT):
- Family Medicine – Doctors who specialize in treating the whole family from infants to older adults. They provide medical treatment for the female and male hormonal systems and treat different types of STD diseases and related conditions.
Things You Need to Consider When Looking for a Doctor
When you are having symptoms of menopause, you need to see your doctor. Doctors can evaluate your health status. Here is the list you should consider when looking for a doctor to prescribe you bioidentical hormone replacement therapy.
- A medical doctor who is board certified in either family medicine or obstetrics and gynecology that directs a team that specializes in hormones
- A practitioner who has experience and knowledge in treating menopause or andropause
- A practitioner who allows you to feel comfortable talking about your conditions
- A practitioner who is not busily rushed from room to room but spends sufficient time with you listening to your concerns and explaining the plan
About the author
Dr. Patrick Lovegrove
Dr. Patrick Lovegrove is board certified by the American Board of Family Physicians. He was born in Staunton, Virginia, and graduated from the University of Virginia where he majored in Biology. He received a Medical School Scholarship from the United States Air Force. A graduate of Nova Southeastern College of Osteopathic Medicine, his over 20 years of clinical experience includes Family Practice, Anti-aging, Holistic Internal Medicine, Pain Management, Aerospace, Sports, and Emergency Medicine. He believes that holistic medicine should be integrated with conventional medicine in a scientifically based model to achieve the best results for patients.